Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spring Plans and a Running Update

So it will probably come as no huge surprise that I've decide to forego my spring marathon for now (insert loud sigh and glare at the world here). My last-ditch efforts (read: another new pair of shoes, KT taping, even some freaking compression socks- I have no idea what I really thought those would do) didn't solve my problems on the last long run I attempted. Instead, the pain is starting to come earlier on runs which obviously doesn't mean anything's getting better- in fact, probably the opposite. After I made the decision I spent a few days pouting but now I'm trying to make the best of the situation and think of new things I can try now that I have a few more hours a week on my hands. My goal is to work hard so that when my feet are better I will also be healthier and stronger overall. I was hoping to also keep running short runs during this time but wise Heather pointed out this weekend that it would probably be much smarter for me to take a few weeks off, and I know she's right, so I'm going to hang up my running shoes for a bit. Here's what I am committed to doing:


  • Strength Training. I have known for a long time that this is, by far, the weakest link in my fitness routine, but I keep ignoring it because I'm intimidated and don't know what to do. Enter New Rules of Lifting for Women, a book I bought a few months ago but hadn't started yet. I finally started the program last Sunday and I really like it. I can't really vouch for it's effectiveness so far- I was sore the day after doing the first workout but like I said, I'm a complete novice in this area- but I do like how easy it is to understand and that it tells me exactly what I need to do, which is what I need right now while I'm getting accustomed to something new!
  • Recommitting to Yoga. Last winter and spring, I was going to yoga at least twice a week, sometimes more. After we moved to Charlotte I really lost some of my motivation- perhaps because I no longer had my favorite yoga studio nearby?- and I have barely been going a couple times a month. I don't know if the frequency last year had anything to do with the fact that I was also running injury-free during that time period, but it certainly seems like it could have because of the stretching and strengthening benefits (particularly of your feet!). Regardless, I enjoy yoga and it's a great activity for both physical and mental health, so it's time to get back to it. I have managed to go once or twice per week for the last few weeks so it's a good start.
  • Spinning (and other new classes). I haven't gone to spinning since the first year I lived in DC, but my new gym has a great studio that I'm eager to try out, and since I'll need a new cardio source for a while anyway I think this is a great time for it. There are also a lot of other classes that I'd like to try and a couple that I've already tried that I'd like to do more (e.g. barre) that hopefully will help me to get stronger and more resilient for when I start running again.
So there it is in a nutshell. Not what I planned on for now but I'm still motivated to get stronger and healthier and have fun trying some new things while I'm doing it. Onward and forward, right?

In other news, Corey and I are busy planning a spring trip to Costa Rica, so that makes up for missing a trip to Virginia Beach. I think We also had a great time visiting with friends this weekend and celebrating the engagement of a fantastic couple, so good times all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment